Annual SEMYO Concerto Competition 2022
Sunday, February 6, 2022
SEMYO is once again offering a concerto competition for Philharmonic and Concert Orchestra students. The competition will take place Sunday, February 6, 2022 at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church (2124 Viola Rd NE) between 1-5 PM. One student from Philharmonic orchestra and one from Concert orchestra will be selected by an independent panel of professional musicians. Winners will have the honor of performing with their orchestra on the SEMYO Spring concert on Sunday, May 15. Several students will also be awarded honorable mention and an invitation to perform in a special honor’s recital. That recital will be scheduled at a later date.
- The SEMYO Concerto Competition is open to members of the Philharmonic and Concert Orchestra who are participating in SEMYO for the entire year.
- Students may compete on any orchestral instrument except piano. Saxophone, harp, and percussion are also allowed.
- Double concertos are allowed as long as both students are members of the same SEMYO ensemble.
- Previous winners are eligible to compete and win the competition; however they may not do so two consecutive years in a row with the same ensemble.
- A fee of $25 is required to participate. Pay fee online or bring a check/cash payment to SEMYO rehearsal.
- Online applications are due (see below) on or before December 19. No late applications will be accepted.
- To apply students must complete the online registration form on this page, and submit the $25 fee.
- SEMYO conductors must approve all selections – if a work is not suitable, students will be notified immediately. Orchestration for your piece must be available and source confirmed before your application is accepted.
Audition Procedures and Requirements
- One student from the Philharmonic Orchestra and one student from the Concert Orchestra will be chosen on any instrument.
- Students must perform an entire movement of an original work for solo instrument and orchestra (typically a single movement from a standard concerto). Arrangements are not allowed.
- Memorization of the piece is required.
- Performance with accompanist is required at the audition. Students are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
- Students must provide judges with two copies of the music; one should be an original.
- Students must be dressed in concert attire.
- Audition may not exceed 10 minutes.