Annual SEMYO Concerto Competition 2024
Sunday, February 4, 2024
SEMYO is hosting its annual concerto competition for students enrolled in the SEMYO Concert Orchestra for the entire year. The competition will take place Sunday, February 4, 2024 at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church (2124 Viola Rd NE) between 1-5 PM. One winner will be selected and will have the honor of performing their concerto movement accompanied by Concert Orchestra on the SEMYO Spring concert on Sunday, May 19. Several students will also be awarded honorable mention and an invitation to perform in a special honor’s recital scheduled for the evening of Friday, February 9 at 7 PM (location TBD). Winner’s and runner’s up will be selected by independent judges who will also provide written feedback for all participants. Please note that the competition is no longer open to students in the Philharmonic Orchestra.
- The SEMYO Concerto Competition is open to members of the Concert Orchestra who are participating in SEMYO for the entire year.
- Students may compete on any orchestral instrument except piano. Saxophone, harp, and percussion are also allowed.
- Double concertos are allowed as long as both students are members of the Concert Orchestra.
- Previous winners are eligible to compete and win the competition again. However, they may not do so in two consecutive years.
- Participants are asked to reserve the recital date (Friday, February 9) in the event they are invited to perform.
- Concert Orchestra conductor Keehun Nam must approve all selections – if a work is not suitable, students will be notified immediately. Orchestration for your piece must be available and source confirmed before your application is accepted. Please contact Mr. Nam at email@example.com with questions regarding your selection.
- A fee of $50 is required to participate. Pay fee online or bring a check/cash payment to SEMYO rehearsal. If the fee is a barrier to participation please e-mail Corey Henke at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a few waiver.
- Applications must be completed on or before December 17. No late applications will be accepted.
- To apply students must complete the online registration form on this page, and submit the $50 fee.
Audition Procedures and Requirements
- One winner from the Concert Orchestra will be chosen on any instrument.
- Students must perform an entire movement of an original work for solo instrument and orchestra (typically a single movement from a standard concerto). Arrangements are not allowed.
- Memorization of the piece is required.
- Performance with accompanist is required at the audition. Students are responsible for providing their own accompanist. Click here for a directory of accompanists.
- Students must provide judges with two copies of the music; one should be an original.
- Students must be dressed in concert attire.
- Audition may not exceed 10 minutes.