SEMYO Auditions 2021-2022
SEMYO invites youth musicians who play a string, woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument to submit an audition for our 2021-2022 season! SEMYO is continuing to accept auditions on all instruments. If interested in auditioning please contact Corey Henke at email@example.com or 507-696-2023 to inquire about openings.
For the safety of our students and their family members, all auditions will be conducted by submitting a video recording. We are committed and available to help students with the process of recording and uploading auditions and you are encouraged to contact us anytime for help.
Please note that students auditioning for Concert Orchestra on percussion will need to audition in person or use her or his school instruments to record the timpani excerpt. Please contact SEMYO to make arrangements for your percussion audition.
To complete your online audition please do the following:
Step 1: (New Students Only): Complete the online application: Click here
Step 2: Download and review the audition requirements for your instrument and determine for which ensemble you are auditioning. Click here
Step 3: Record your audition that must include 2 scales, required excerpt(s) from the audition guidelines, and a 1-2 minute solo of your choice. Students auditioning for Bravura Strings may omit the solo requirement.
Step 4: Upload the video to YouTube and set it as ‘unlisted.’
Step 5: Submit the audition to SEMYO using the ‘Audition Video Submission Form’ at the bottom of this page.
No audition fee is required at this time.
Create Your Audition Video
Once you have prepared and practiced your audition to the best of your ability it is time to record your audition. Audition solos must be unaccompanied. Please review the following recommendations and guidelines to create a successful recording.
Your audition may be recorded using a smartphone (recommended), tablet, or digital camera. High-quality recording equipment is not required!
Shooting the Video
- Please be sure your full person and instrument are visible so staff can assess your posture and technique. String players please make sure your hands are visible. You may stand or sit.
- Before you begin playing, please state your name and tell us what you are playing.
- If using a smartphone, please use the main camera (not the front-facing selfie camera).
- Do not stand too close the camera as it may distort the sound; however your person should fill up most of the shot.
- Mount the camera on a tripod, rest it on something stable, or have someone hold it. We recommend making a test video ahead of time to check the quality and sound levels.
- Remember the video does not have to be perfect and recording over and over again is discouraged. If you practice the materials and do the best you can, you will make a successful video.
- You are welcome to record each component (scales, excerpts, solo) of the audition separately and there will be a place on the form to submit more then one video. You may also submit one video with the components combined.
- Your audition video will only be visible to SEMYO artistic staff.
This is the correct video placement for string players. When shooting your video be sure we can see your hands and instrument in the shot.
Upload Your Video
Once you have made a satisfactory recording you may upload your audition to YouTube. When you upload your video please include your name in the title and the audition component (scales, excerpts, or solo). For example: SEMYO Audition. Excerpts. Corey Henke. Also, be sure to designate the video as ‘unlisted.’
If you are not familiar with You Tube please use the links below for detailed instructions. If you have difficulty please contact Corey Henke at firstname.lastname@example.org at anytime.
Instructions for creating a YouTube Account: Click here.
Instructions for Uploading Videos from your phone to You Tube: Click Here
Instructions for Uploading Videos from your computer to You Tube: Click Here