The SEMYO attendance policy is in place to achieve a high level of performance for the entire season and to encourage responsibility for scheduling and time commitments. We understand that at certain times of the year additional conflicts may arise and we will do our best to work with you and be accommodating, with enough advanced notice. Please contact us prior to the start of each trimester if you have concerns.
Students are allowed up to two excused absences per trimester. An unexcused absence will count as two excused absences. Absences should be reported no later than one week prior to rehearsal. Report all absences online.
- Excused absences include 1) absences reported to SEMYO at least week one prior to the missed rehearsal or 2) illness, medical emergency, family emergency, inclement weather, or other unavoidable conflicts.
- An unexcused absence is a failure to report to rehearsal without at least one-week prior notification.
- Required participation in Honors Choirs and Bella Voce dress rehearsals that directly conflict with SEMYO rehearsals will not count as an absence but only if SEMYO staff are notified at least one week in advance.
- More leniency may be given if absences are for musical commitments such as honor band/orchestra and school ensemble trips but only if advanced notification is provided.
- Attendance at only part of a rehearsal (arriving late or leaving early) will count as half of an absence.
- Work commitments are not an acceptable reason to leave early or miss rehearsal and students should arrange time-off in advance.
Students who exceed the number of allowed absences will be asked to perform a short audition for their conductor and excessive absences may result in being dismissed from participation in the SEMYO concert. The final decision will be at the discretion of the conductor.
Participation in the dress rehearsal and concerts are mandatory and include the following dates:
Dress rehearsal: Saturday, November 12 | Concert: Sunday, November 13
Dress rehearsal: Saturday, February 25 | Concert: Sunday, February 26
Dress rehearsal: Saturday, May 20 | Concert: Sunday, May 21
Permission to miss the dress rehearsal or concert may be granted in special cases if requested in writing no less than four weeks ahead of time. Repeated failure to participate in SEMYO concerts and events may result in dismissal from the program.