Riverside Violin Instructor
Southeastern Minnesota Youth Orchestras (SEMYO) is seeking a violin instructor who enjoys working with elementary school students to lead the SEMYO outreach program at Riverside Central Elementary School. This is a part-time contract position that will last between November 2022 and May 2023. The SEMYO outreach program at Riverside Central Elementary School is a fully funded program that provides group violin lessons to fourth and fifth graders, many of whom are low-income and minority students. The goal of the program is to increase access to music education for children, introduce elementary school students to instrumental music, and prepare students for successful participation in middle school music programs. The program also teaches students how to follow instructions, how to care for a musical instrument, and how to work together.
The Riverside Program instructor will be asked to teach group violin lessons to 15-20 fourth and fifth grade students. The instructor will be assisted by high school student volunteers who are members of SEMYO, and a paraprofessional may also be present. Classes will meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15 to 5:00 PM, November 1, 2022, to May 18, 2023. Classes will meet at Riverside Central Elementary school located at 506 5th Ave SE, Rochester. There will be no classes during Rochester public school breaks or when school is canceled.
Applicants must have a degree in music or music education or equivalent experience and knowledge of teaching beginning violin. Applicants must also have experience in classroom management and must be able to manage student behavior.
Teaching duties include:
- Coordinate with Riverside and SEMYO staff on all aspects of the program.
- Coordinate with Riverside and SEMYO staff to create a safe and productive learning environment for elementary school participants. Measure students for violins.
- Communicate and work with the SEMYO program coordinator to assign instruments to students.Teach students how to properly handle and store violins.
- Manage student behavior and provide clear instructions.
- Demonstrate and teach proper violin technique.
- Lead group classes and exercises.
- Teach students basic patterns and melodies on violin in first position.
- Teach basic note reading and rhythm concepts.
- Coordinate student mentors and create individual learning opportunities between mentors and participants.
Compensation for the position is $3,150 ($450 per month from November to May). Additional compensation may be offered for instructors traveling from outside of Rochester.
To apply for the position please send an email of interest and resume to Corey Henke at email@example.com. SEMYO will accept applications until the position is filled. For priority consideration please apply on or before October 13.